Based in Seoul, The Global Green Growth Institute (GGGI) is an intergovernmental organization founded to support and promote a model of economic growth known as "green growth", which targets key aspects of economic performance such a poverty reduction, job creation, social inclusion, and environmental sustainability. GGGI works with countries around the world, building their capacity and working collaboratively on green growth policies that can impact the lives of millions. The organization partners with countries, multilateral institutions, government bodies, and private sector to help build economies that grow strongly and are more efficient and sustainable in the use of natural resources, less carbon intensive, and more resilient to climate change.
GGGI supports stakeholders through complementary and integrated workstreams – Green Growth Planning & Implementation and Knowledge Solutions – that deliver comprehensive products designed to assist in developing, financing, and mainstreaming green growth in national economic development plans.
Upon approval of ‘Strategic Plan 2015-2020’ by the Council in 2014, GGGI has selected four thematic clusters as its focus areas: energy, water, land-use, and green cities. GGGI is currently in the process of establishing its strategic direction in each of these areas.
Scope of Work
Under the direct supervision and guidance of the relevant Division/Department Head/Project Manager, and in collaboration with relevant GGGI units and personnel, the Energy Expert will support implementation of GGGI's Energy strategy and/or delivery of country level work plans with the following duties and responsibilities:
- Developing and implementing GGGI’s global strategies/thematic approaches relevant to Energy Sector;
- Creating an effective enabling environment to mitigate risk and mobilize public/private investment for energy sector
- Support GGGI in identifying financeable projects and programs within partner countries, particularly related to GGGI thematic priorities on energy
- Perform comprehensive and in- depth research and analyses on energy sector and relevant sub-sector of focus, as needed
- Contributing to capacity building and knowledge sharing on Energy Sector/sub-sectors;
- Prepare briefing and communications materials for sharing and support internal briefings and communications about these efforts for GGGI staff at headquarters and around the world as appropriate;
- Reviewing GGGI’s mid-term/final deliverables and publications relating to Energy Sector;
- Conducting diagnosis on energy sector/sub-sector, and assessing potential interventions for green growth
- Elaborating national/sub-national energy sector/sub-sector strategies/policies/roadmaps for GGGI partner countries
- Supporting multi-stakeholders engagement; and
- Advanced university degree(Masters or Ph.D) in a filed relevant to Energy Policy/Engineering/Energy Technology/Economics/Business Management
- Must be internationally recognized in the field of Energy. Must have worked in developing countries in an applied capacity, dealt with a variety of stakeholders – Government, private companies, financial institutions, etc.
- At least 7 years of progressively responsible experience in renewable energy, research areas of economics and environment related to the topics of energy, climate or development, and experience in project implementation of abovementioned areas.
- Strong interpersonal and collaboration skills with an ability to communicate at all levels of an organization;
- Must have experience at the management level, set agendas and policies
- Understanding of financing mechanisms for energy projects
- Experience related to green growth, sustainable development, or related topics is a plus; and
- Fluency in English is a must; other languages are an asset.
Child protection – GGGI is committed to child protection, irrespective of whether any specific area of work involves direct contact with children. GGGI’s Child Protection Policy is written in accordance with the Convention on the Rights of the Child.