Green Cities Expert
Based in Seoul, The Global Green Growth Institute (GGGI) is an intergovernmental organization founded to support and promote a model of economic growth known as "green growth", which targets key aspects of economic performance such a poverty reduction, job creation, social inclusion, and environmental sustainability. GGGI works with countries around the world, building their capacity and working collaboratively on green growth policies that can impact the lives of millions. The organization partners with countries, multilateral institutions, government bodies, and private sector to help build economies that grow strongly and are more efficient and sustainable in the use of natural resources, less carbon intensive, and more resilient to climate change.
GGGI supports stakeholders through complementary and integrated workstreams – Green Growth Planning & Implementation and Knowledge Solutions – that deliver comprehensive products designed to assist in developing, financing, and mainstreaming green growth in national economic development plans.
Upon approval of ‘Strategic Plan 2015-2020’ by the Council in 2014, GGGI has selected four thematic clusters as its focus areas: energy, water, land-use, and green cities. GGGI is currently in the process of establishing its strategic direction in each of these areas.
Scope of Work
Under the direct supervision and guidance of the relevant Division/Department Head/Project Manager, and in collaboration with relevant GGGI units and personnel, the Green Cities Expert will support implementation of GGGI's Green cities strategy and/or delivery of country level work with more than one of the following duties and responsibilities:
- Developing GGGI’s global strategies/thematic approaches relevant to Green City Development;
- Creating an effective enabling environment for urban investments;
- Identifying mechanisms for attracting international and local financing, including private investment and climate funds, in light of local and international conditions;
- Supporting planning and financing ability of sub-national governments in Green City Development;
- Experimenting integrated urban-energy-water nexus approach;
- Contributing to capacity building and knowledge sharing on Green City Development;
- Preparing briefing or communications materials for sharing and support internal briefings and communications about GGGI efforts in Green City Development
- Reviewing GGGI’s draft/final deliverables and publications relating to Green City Development;
- Conducting a country/city diagnosis on Green City Development, and assessing green city impacts or potentials for a specific country/city/urban sector;
- Elaborating strategies/policies/roadmaps for Green City Development for a specific country/city/urban sector;
- Developing an urban green growth/climate resilience planning(mitigation and adaptation) at national/city/urban sector level
- Identifying and prioritizing strategic urban infrastructure and services for investment at city/country/urban sector scale;
- Investment planning for Green City Development at national/city/urban sector level;
- Designing bankable projects for strategic urban investment in water, waste/waste to energy, building and built environment, transport, ICT based smart options;
- Conducting (pre-) feasibility study for specific urban infrastructure or services;
- Supporting multi-stakeholders engagement; and
- Advanced university degree(Masters or Ph.D.) in a filed relevant to urban and regional planning, urban economics, geography, green growth/climate change, local finance and governance, urban infrastructure sector or a related field;
- At least 7 years of relevant experience. Analytical work and/or project experience in the urban sector is required, and preferably with substantive work experience with developing countries in an applied capacity, dealt with a variety of stakeholders – Government, private companies, financial or technical institutions, etc.
- Good understanding of planning and financing mechanisms for sustainable urban development and urban green infrastructure projects;
- Proven track record of delivery of high quality outputs while working under pressure and within tight deadlines;
- Ability to function effectively in multi-disciplinary teams within a matrix management environment;
- Deliver results for clients- proactively addresses clients’ stated and unstated needs; and
- Fluency in English is a must; other languages are an asset.