Green Investment Expert
Based in Seoul, The Global Green Growth Institute (GGGI) is an intergovernmental organization founded to support and promote a model of economic growth known as "green growth", which targets key aspects of economic performance such a poverty reduction, job creation, social inclusion, and environmental sustainability. GGGI works with countries around the world, building their capacity and working collaboratively on green growth policies that can impact the lives of millions. The organization partners with countries, multilateral institutions, government bodies, and private sector to help build economies that grow strongly and are more efficient and sustainable in the use of natural resources, less carbon intensive, and more resilient to climate change.
GGGI supports stakeholders through complementary and integrated workstreams – Green Growth Planning & Implementation and Knowledge Solutions – that deliver comprehensive products designed to assist in developing, financing, and mainstreaming green growth in national economic development plans.
Upon approval of ‘Strategic Plan 2015-2020’ by the Council in 2014, GGGI has selected four thematic clusters as its focus areas: energy, water, land-use, and green cities. GGGI is currently in the process of establishing its strategic direction in each of these areas.
Scope of Work
GIS is seeking for two types of experts; Green Investment Expert and Green Finance Expert. The former will contribute to the success of the GIS team by supporting identification of business opportunities, structuring transactions/investments and managing portfolio projects/programs. The latter will also lead the financial analysis, with an aim to develop robust projects and programs. He/she will be expected to provide financial expertise to contribute to the development, structuring and designing of funds/financial products and technical assistance of projects.
Under the direct supervision and guidance of the relevant Division/Department Head/Project Manager, and in collaboration with relevant GGGI units and personnel, the Green Investment Expert will support implementation of GIS's three main pillars: “Accessing International Finance”, “Building Financial Products and Vehicles”, and “Developing Green Bankable Projects” strategy and/or delivery of country level work plans with the following duties and responsibilities:
Green Investment Expert
- Lead/support several mandates for existing (and new) projects, programs and initiatives, simultaneously with different teams
- Support technical, legal, regulatory and commercial assessment of advisory transactions, as well as project structure design
- Support portfolio management, including project/program performance monitoring and reporting
- Contribute to the development of operational documents and provide guidance for internal processing, and coordinate across project components with other team members
- Support the preparation of proposals or mandates for new projects, negotiation with clients and the internal approval processes
- Manage the drafting and negotiation of contractual and bidding documents such as concession agreements, shareholder agreements, etc.
- Be responsible for the design of Terms of Reference for specialized consultant support to project teams, the selection and management of consultants; requests for proposals and applications for funding for consultant costs
- Assist GIS with its marketing activities, taking a proactive approach to developing new client contacts and project leads
- Advise on the viability of GIS projects carried out based on experiences and case studies
Green Finance Expert
- Lead transaction and investment with a particular focus of fund structuring
- Design and develop financial models using excel and other financial tools
- Financial analysis - modelling, DCF, pro-forma earnings, comparable analysis, precedent transaction analysis, leveraged buy-out analysis, project financing, etc.
- Coordinate and execute due diligence in connection with projects and programs
- Develop presentation of analytical documentation to support projects/programs
- Give technical/financial advice to our clients in developing National Financial Vehicles (i.e. Fund)
- Advanced university degree in areas such as MBA, finance, accounting, law, or some significant working experience in relative areas.
- Minimum 7 years of experience desired in climate, infrastructure / related finance - preferably including sustainable energy gained in investment banking, private equity, commercial banking, public finance institution, legal house, or a top tier consulting firm.
- Experience in at least one of the following areas desirable: deal origination/ lead, renewable energy/energy efficiency, design of financial products/vehicles, infrastructure project development/assessment/finance, economic/financial analysis of infrastructure investment, with climate finance and investment banking, private or public sector projects, and/ or in PPP transactions
- Excellent network of contacts in all relevant green investment/finance sectors (e.g. renewable energy, energy efficiency, water, cities and land use)
- Familiarity with due diligence processes for lending mandates;
- Experience working in developing countries is an asset
- Excellent communication skills (including government stakeholders, market players and multilateral banks)
- Ability to build and maintain relationships with development agencies, non-governmental organizations, and relevant private sector players operating
- Support GGGI country teams in establishing and scaling up projects/programs
- Fluency in English is essential; knowledge of other languages (e.g. Spanish, Arabic, Mongolian, French) is an advantage